This is the full riverside route in Lisbon. It’s possible to run nearly 5 miles one way between Cais do Sodré and the Belem Tower, passing under the the 25 Abril Bridge . Most of the route is along a dedicated riverside path. For about 1 mile between the Alcântara Docks and just past the bridge, you’ll be alongside the road. One can run one way and take the train back!
This run has it all: lovely riverside running with great views of the bridge, several important landmarks and museums, and the manicured Jardim de Belem. The run between Belem Tower and Alcântara has it all: lovely riverside path, beautiful gardens, and several important landmarks and museums. Particularly beautiful at sunset.
Key distances and landmarks, starting at Cais do Sodré (km/mi)
- 0.8/0.5 Santos Station
- 1.6/1.0 Museo Nacional de Arte Antica
- 2.4./1.5 Museum of Asian Art/Alcântara Docks (leave path)
- 3.2/2,0 Ponte 25 de Abril (Bridge)
- 4.0/2.5 Rejoin water path
- 5.5/3.4 Electricity museum, Belem Train Station, Coach Museum, Jardim
- 6.1/3,8 Padrão dos Descobrimentos (statue)
- 7.5/4.7 Belem Tower
For variety, you can leave the riverside path and head through the Jardim de Belem, with its manicured gardens and wide paths. Landmarks include the Museu da Presidência da República, the Jerónimos Monastery (a World Heritage site), and an archaeology museum and a modern art museum.