A water treatment facility might not seem like an ideal place for outdoor recreation, but Hartford area runners flock to the West Hartford Reservoirs and Reservoir 6 for the miles of paved and gravel paths circling the lakes. Trail runners will find additional opportunities through over 3,000 acres of forest land surrounding the reservoirs. You can pick your own route using the reservoir trail map, but here are some of the most popular options:
- West Hartford Reservoirs ‘Red Loop’: 3.4 miles. Starting from the public entrance at Reservoir 1, head north to connect with the Red Road Loop, which follows the border of Reservoir 3 and Dyke Pond before circling back along Reservoir 5.
- Reservoir 6 Loop: 3.6 miles. From the public entrance at Albany Ave, follow the Red Loop around Reservoir 6.
- For a long run, the reservoir loops can be combined using a section of the Metacomet Trail.
- Many additional wooded trails in the area
- Reservoir 1: 3.4 miles (5.5 km) or 3.6 miles (5.8 km) with longer options
- Public entrances on Albany Ave and Farmington Ave
- Albany Ave. or Farmington Ave. Each reservoir loop has a parking lot
Comment on this Route/Share a Photo!
Share your feedback on this route and see that of other Great Runs users. Click on the image icon to upload a photo. And please let us know if there are notes or changes we should incorporate!