We’ve researched the best places to run in Florida’s major cities and popular vacation spots, from Amelia Island in the north to Key West in the southBelow are our favorites in Florida by type of run. Our Florida Overview page lists all of the major locations we’ve covered in the state. For our list of the Top 25 Runs in Florida (the runner’s Florida bucket list!), click here.
Best Florida Beaches for Running. These beaches are all pretty, are at least 3 miles long and feature firm, compact sand.
- Coco Beach (Cape Canaveral area)
- Daytona Beach
- Neptune and Atlantic Beaches (Jacksonville)
- Miami Beach
- Fort Myers Beach
- Siesta Key Beach
- Space Coast Beaches (Cape Canaveral)
- Augustine Beach
- Pete Beach (St. Petersburg)
- Fernandia Beach, Amelia Island
Best Waterfront Runs. These are routes along roads, paths, or boardwalks that feature great views of the ocean, the Intracoastal, or some other lake or river.
- Miami Beach Boardwalk
- Venetian Causeway, Miami
- Key Biscayne, Miami
- Hollywood Beach Boardwalk
- Daytona Beach Waterfront
- Boardwalks & Pier, Key West
- Overseas Heritage Trail (106 miles from Key Largo to Key West!)
- Ortega River, Jacksonville
- Gulfshore Blvd., Naples
- Lake Trail, Palm Beach
- Ringling Bridge & Area, Sarasota
- Sebastian Inlet, Space Coast
- Waterfront & Fort, St. Augustine
- Clearwater Beach
- Bayshore Trail, Tampa
Residential Neighborhoods. This is a list of some of Florida’s loveliest neighborhoods for running. They boast some combination of lovely homes, a pretty canopy, and/or are of some historical significance.
- Downtown Fernandia Beach
- Augustine & Lincolnville Historic District, St. Augustine
- Ortega & Forest Circle neighborhoods, Jacksonville
- Celebration (Orlando area)
- Winter Park, Orlando area
- Pelican Bay, Naples
- Sarasota Downtown & Historic District
- St. Petersburg: Snell Isle, Historic Uptown, Historic Old Northeast
- Palm Beach (numerous routes there!)
- Historic Districts of West Palm Beach (El Cid, etc)
- Coral Ridge, Fort Lauderdale
- Coconut Grove, Miami
- Coral Gables, Miami
- Key West – Historic Area
Special Parks, Trails, and Preserves. A few favorites include:
- Egans Creek Greenway, Amelia Island
- Fort De Soto, Tampa. One of the nicest parks in Florida, with great views
- Jacksonville-Baldwin Trail. One of the most scenic, longer off-road paths in the state
- Ringling Bridge, Sarasota and Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami. Two of the most scenic, runnable bridges in Florida.
Orlando Theme Park AreaWe’re gonna be straight here: Orlando’s theme park area, visited by tens of millions annually, is pretty crappy for running. The folks at Disney, Universal Studios, et. al want you in the park, spending your hard earned dough. But don’t despair – we’ve researched the most runnable sections of the Disney/Universal area, i.e. the roads that at least have a sidewalk. You’ll also find that some of the best running in this area is within some of the resort properties.