This is a lovely waterfront route in Zadar, the second largest and city in Dalmatia and Croatia’s oldest continuously inhabited city. We’ve mapped a route that includes a 2 km loop of the peninsular Old Town, and then 5 km north along the harbor and around the Bork Marina to the Puntamika Lighthouse.
A symbolic place to start is the at the Land Gate, the stone gate built in 1543 that is an apt entrance to the Old Town [option: do the ~1 km loop on the paths around Zadar Park]. It’s a 2 km loop around the perimeter of the peninsula, on a scenic waterfront path with great views of the Adriatic. Cross the pedestrian Gradski Bridge [most], and continue north on the road following the harbor. There’s either a dedicated seafront path or a decent sidewalk. You’ll loop around the Marina Tankerkomerc, do a jaunt out to the pier, and pass the Old Maraska Factory, the Sphinx of Zadar, and then run along three additional marinas. It’s 5 km from the Gradski Bridge to Puntamika.
- At Puntamika, one can continue on gravel paths along Borik Beach.
- At Old Town, there’s a nice ~1 km loop around Zadar Park.
- Enjoy running some of the narrow, maze-like streets of Old Town (go early to beat the crowds!)
- Run south of Old Town along the water for ~1.2 km to Muški Beach. There’s a decent shoulder on the road and nice water views.
- Running Track: 1 km inland — from Gradski Bridge, it’s a straight shot along Ul. Stjepana Radića.
- Peninsula loop is 2 km, and then it's 5 km to Puntamika. Good add-on options
- Land's Gate