For some gorgeous suburban running near Newark, head to South Orange, which features lovely parks and gracious residential neighborhoods. It’s a quick drive, or a 15-minute train ride from Newark Broad St. to the S. Orange train station. We recommend creating your own route in this area, using the map below as a guideline. A few highlights:
- Using the South Orange Train Station as an anchor, enjoy ~1 mile of open paths in Cameron Park.
- Put together 2-3 miles along the gaslamped leafy streets of the Montrose Park Historic District, featuring gorgeous homes (box on map).
- Monte Irvin Orange Park. Designed in 1900, there are fields and jogging trails, nearly 1 mile end-to-end.
- Seton Hall University. Some nice paths around this compact campus, especially around Galleon Lawn, and an outdoor track. Combine with nearby Ivy Hill Park, and a loop around Grove Park off S. Orange Ave.
- South Mountain Reservation. It is 1 mile from the S. Orange Train Station to S. Mountain Reservation. See our route for that area.