The University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) is among the most spectacular university settings in the world, from a running perspective. There are great options here:
- A pleasant run around the paths of the university. Sort of random — but paths everywhere! See the campus map
- Lagoon Path. We’ve mapped out a route that includes a loop around the paved lagoon path, with views of the university, then continuing on the bike path out to Del Playa Bluffs, which cruises the cliffs lining the Pacific Ocean. Local runners say keep your head up for cyclists, especially those wielding surfboards!
- Goleta Beach/Campus Point/Labyrinth Path. Take the stairs to Goleta Beach at the end of Lagoon Rd. and run there during low tide. From Campus Point there’s also some very nice bluff-top running with views of the ocean and lagoon if you take the stairs that go up from Campus Point.
You don’t have to be a student at UCSB to enjoy running there, but do be aware parking can be scarce during regular school hours. You can also start out from a section of the Obern Trail Bike Path and head into campus east to west.
Add-Ons: Enjoy the paths of the university campus. Also, the Obern Trail Bike Path continues for 3 miles south, past Goleta Park. Or, combine with the trails of More Mesa for a longer run.
- 3.6 mile loop
- 67 feet
- Start on the University walkways off of Ocean Road. 24x bus runs from Santa Barbara
- Parking can be tricky at UCSB during school hours. Find a map of visitor lots and meters here.
Comment on this Route/Share a Photo!
Share your feedback on this route and see that of other Great Runs users. Click on the image icon to upload a photo. And please let us know if there are notes or changes we should incorporate!