Chicagoland is a vast collection of suburbs spanning several counties. We’ve put together this list of some best routes in Chicafo’s major residential communities, corporate office locations, and business travel hot spots.
Evanston: Another cluster of big name offices falls around the coastal city of Evanston, home to Northwestern University, and its inland neighbors of Glenville, Skokie, and Wilmette. Wilmette is a nice destination suburb, home to the stunning Baha’i House and the Plaza del Lago shopping center. Big cluster of hotels in Evanston.
- Best Routes in Area: Evanston Routes, North Shore Route, Sheridan Road/Fort Sheridan, Harms Woods Forest Preserve, Green Bay Trail
- Stores in Area: Road Runner Sports, The Runner’s Edge
Northbrook: An uncanny number of tech companies have settled in the Northfield and Northbrook areas north of Chicago. Popular spot for hotels.
Deerfield: Just north of Northbrook, Deerfield is another magnet for Fortune 500 companies, but otherwise has lots of pretty natural spaces. Lots of hotels in the Lake Cook Road area.
Aurora: The most populated suburb of Chicago, Aurora is known for its vibrant music and arts events, and its scenic location on the Fox River. A few hotels but more options are in Naperville.
Naperville: One of the largest residential suburbs of Chicago, Naperville is known for its rich craft beer and food scene, arts and culture festivals, and a lovely 1.75 mile Riverwalk along the DuPage River. Lots of hotels in this area.
- Best Routes in Area: Springbrook Prairie Forest Preserve, Knoch Knolls, Waterfall Glenn Forest Preserve, Green Valley Forest Preserve, DuPage River Trail
- Stores in Area: Road Runner Sports
Elgin: A popular residential area northwest of Chicago, with lots of museums and historic buildings. Cluster of hotels off I-90.
Oak Park: Along with nearby Cicero, this is one of Chicago’s most afflient residential areas, with pretty streets and noteworthy architecture, including several Frank Lloyd Wright homes. There are a few hotels in town.
- Best Routes in Area: Oak Park, Illinois Prairie Path, Des Plaines River Trail, Illinois Prairie Path
- Stores in Area: Fleet Feet Sports Oak Park
Schaumburg / Hoffman Estates: This heavily populated northwestern suburb is best known for shopping and eateries at the Woodfield Mall and Legoland Discovery Center. Nearby Hoffman Estates is a huge center of business and corporate offices, including Sears Holdings, AT&T, GE Capital, and Liberty Mutual. Big cluster of hotels between here and Arlington Heights.
- Best Routes in Area: Poplar Creek Forest Preserve, Paul Douglas Forest Preserve, Busse Woods Forest Preserve
Itasca / Elk Grove: These neighborhoods on the west side of O’Hare airport are major centers of industry, housing Fortune 500 companies and numerous corporate offices. Many hotels in proximity to the airport.
Arlington Heights: A major residential area with many corporate offices north of O’Hare airport, Arlington Heights also has a big food and shopping scene. Hotels are mostly west towards Schaumburg.
- Best Routes in Area: Busse Woods Forest Preserve, Deer Grove Forest Preserve, Buffalo Grove
- Stores in Area: Runner’s High n’ Tri
Oak Brook: This high-end residential neighborhood west of Chicago also hosts lots of businesses. Nearby Elmhurst is a cute residential area brimming with eclectic culture. Many hotels in the vicinity of I-88.
- Best Routes in Area: Salt Creek Trail, Clarendon Hills, Great Western Trail
- Stores in Area: Fleet Feet Sports Elmhurst
Rosemont/O’Hare: Because of it’s proximity to the airport, this area is comprised mostly of hotels.
Chicago East Side/Calumet Area: Wonderful series of trails around Wolf Lake, Egger’s Cove, and along Lake Michigan between Whiting Lakefront Park and Calumet Park.
Joliet: 30 miles southwest of Chicago, Joliet is a large residential area with attractions ranging from a local history museum to a speedway. Hotels are mostly off I-80 or Rt. 30.